The holiday break is coming and teachers, parents and kids around the world are gearing up for the festive season. I don’t know about you, but we here at Skoolbo love this time of year and get really excited every time it comes around! This year, we’ve decided to make the holidays even better by introducing the Skoolbo Holiday Fun Challenge for your classroom! The game is really easy to pick up and teachers can encourage students to play it as a way of promoting continuous learning of literacy, numeracy and languages over the holidays.
The idea of the game is to give students a 7-day window in which to navigate a step-based board game through playing Skoolbo. Once you’re back in the classroom, students can all compare answers and see how they each approached the game.
Here’s how to play:
- Give each student a copy of the board game and get them ready to start on a Sunday, which is when the Skoolbo weekly leaderboards begin. The game must be completed within 7 days of starting it.
- Start at “Day 1” on the far left of the board and follow the instructions to complete the task.
- Complete the task assigned to each day and follow the blue arrows through to the next day.
- Once your class has started, make sure students check the in-game “class leaderboard” to see how they are doing against their classmates and also the rest of the world.
- After you’ve returned from the holidays, review the results of each student across all the leaderboards (if students had a picture of his/her characters in supersuits then even better, but not essential!)
You can download a printout copy below:
A massive shout out must go to Lori Martin, a teacher at South Pekin Elementary in Illinois, who originally came up with the idea of a Skoolbo board game and whose creation served as the inspiration for our own game. If you’d like to know more about Mrs. Martin, she received a fantastic write-up in the Pekin Times which you can read by clicking here.
This is a wonderful way of keeping minds active by using a fun, new way to play Skoolbo, so check it out and don’t forget to let us know how it goes!
If you have an interesting way you use Skoolbo in class, email us so we can promote your awesome idea!